So here it is, I finally finished this 100+ hour project and a definite "labor of love" for Nora and our future children... I HAD to find a way to keep Nora under control in church and I remember my mom made quiet books for us as kids. Then my friend Jackie made one for her little boy and that was it.... I got the project mode bug and began this Quiet Book project in September. Now I, along with all the people who sit close to us in church are so glad it's done! And what do you know, it works... Nora stays quiet in church! After many trips to the craft store, fabric store and my sisters house with her well stocked craft room, my mission is accomplished! I'll try to explain what the pages do since I didn't want to take any more pictures than I already did. :)
Page 1: Cover Page. I used permanent puff paint for all the printing and hot glue and craft glue for all the attaching.
Page 2: Lace, Buckle and Button
Page 3: "Crayon Box"-- All the crayons have the colors printed on them for learning colors. The crayons have popcicle sticks sewn into them for stability.
Page 4: "Flower Pot"--Flowers velcro off for counting and finding which one is not like the others.
Page 5: This is a fun one to open the Mommy bunny tummy and count all 10 of her baby bunnies. Mommy Bunny is soft too.
Page 6: "Catch a Falling Star"--Stars unbutton to place into the snap pocket.
Page 7: Happy Hand glove comes off with velcro and the little finger puppets our sewn on to avoid getting lost.
Page 8: "Gone Fishin'"--This is one of Nora's favorite pages. I sewed in a small metal ball in the fish mouths and then her little fishing rod has a magnet on the end. Makes catching fish a lot more fun and much less smelly! Fish are stored "under the sea" in the velcro pocket.
Page 9: Shape Sorter velcro on and off.
Page 10: "Build the Snowman"-- Each of the body parts and hat come off with velcro to make for some interesting looking snowmen!
Page 11: "Old MacDonald"--This was an old stuffed toy that Nora never played with. I took it apart and recycled it. The barn opens and closes with velcro and inside will be barn animals (still to come, I haven't found any cute barn animal prints yet). Old Macdonald comes on and off as well with velcro.
Page 12: This little lamb is super soft and needs her bow tied.
Page 13: "Jack-O-Lantern Faces"-- Has different shaped face pieces hiding inside, this is an example of one of his faces.
Page 14: "Apples 4 Sale"--Pick the apples (with velcro) and place them in the basket.
Page 15: "Garden Rewards"-- This page was in honor of our garden this year. Nora loved picking the produce and putting them in buckets and baskets. All the little stuffed fruits and vegetables are attached with velcro along the top and bottom of the page and can be plucked off to harvest into the basket pocket.
Page 16: "I Spy"-- Yes, I know all the little pieces will eventually get lost, but for now, Nora loves to hunt for the fun things inside of the pocket and look through them with the magnifying glass.
Page 17: "Be My Valentine"--Can you tell I was going for different holidays and seasons for this book? There are Post-it notes hiding in the pocket so Nora can write me little "love" notes.
Page 18: "Get me Dressed"--Another one of Nora's faves. There are several different hair styles and lots of different clothes you can dress the girl with. Here is one example of her "on-the-town" dresses with knee high boots... gotta look stylish right? All the pieces are stored in the pocket at the bottom (I was going for a dresser effect).
Page 19: "Busy City"-- Did you notice that is a Porche that parks in the garage pocket? That was Dave's touch. Probably the closest we will EVER get to owning a Porche.
Page 20: "Rock-a-Bye Baby"-- The little cradle rocks back and forth and the little baby comes out and can double as a finger puppet.This is the great carrying case that my sister was able to pull some strings and get for me. It's a zip-up heavy canvas with three rings inside. There are also a lot of pockets inside for other snacks, books and flashcards to keep the kiddies busy. If this thing ever got stolen or lost I think I would cry for a month.
January 12, 2010
Quiet Book Finally Done!
Posted by Dave Whitworth at 1:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Amazing! You are unbelievably talented.
Heather, have I ever told you how absolutely impressed I am with you and how incredibly honored I feel that you are my daughter-in-law?
I have pieces of a quiet book sitting in my sewing/laundry room that I gathered when Maryvonne was a baby--maybe I'll get it done by the time SHE has a kid, if I start now, but even if I ever do get it finished, it will absolutely PALE in comparison to your work of art.
You are so very, very artistic. I am glad you are the mommy of my little granddaughter!
I love your quiet book. I am now absolutely convinced that I can never make one.
You have NO IDEA how much I love quiet books! I collect "church" toys, even though I don't have kids, and I've wanted to make one of those forever. Yours is AMAZING!
you... are my hero :)
That turned out so cute, Heather!
What a talented, awesome daughter you are Heather!! It's fun to see your artistic talent in so many things and now the quiet book. It is a creative work of art!! Nora (and your future children)are very blessed to have you as their mommy.
Did you know I still have your two quiet books? They survived 5 kids.
Love, Mom
HOLY CRAP HEATHER! That is awesome!
Soooo great Heather! I love it.
A-W-E-S-O-M-E!! Maybe I can convince Beth to make one, but perhaps a little more boy-ish :) You deserve a gold star for sure! -Dan D
I LOVE IT!
This is seriously the cutest quiet book I have EVER seen. WOW.
It looks like it would have taken at least 100 hours to make!
Is a little part of you not want your kid to play with it because you are worried they will lose/ruin it?
I'm wondering whether you have supplies left over from this project that you'd like to package up and sell. If so, please let me know. Cutest project ever! Popsicle sticks, magnets, fabric pieces, etc.
Thanks,
Carol
Post a Comment