THE WHITWORTH FAMILY

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.

February 6, 2011

Play Room Makeover

I have been wanting to post these pictures for a while now but have been waiting to get all the finishing details done... Dave and I saved all year and were able to make-over the room that we spend the MOST time in.  We call it our "play room" because all of Nora toys, my crafts, workout equipment, TV and everything else accumulates in there.  We knew the room had potential when we bought the house, but it was far from its glory day (we nick- named it the "bachelor pad" at first, you'll see why).....

We inherited a pool table in the room when we bought the house that took up a huge majority of the space, and since Dave and I don't really play much and would rather have the space, we sold it on KSL.  The next issue in the room was the painted cement floors (yes cement) and horrible wall texture and sloppy wall paint.  Not to mention baseboards missing, holes in the ceiling and nasty old outlet coverings that were covered in paint from the previous owner's paint job (like I said, sloppy!)  We knew that pretty much everything was going to have to be re-done.  So we got to work over Christmas Break.  Dave had the whole week off thank goodness and we were able to get the majority of it done during that time, but since then I have been working on the decor details to make it look so much NOT like a Bachelor pad!  So here it the Play Room reveal before and after pictures.  Hope you like them.... It was a ton of work but so worth it in the end.

BEFORE
My summer weekends at yard sales has gotten me some good deals on toys, but you can see they get everywhere.  Must organize better!
See what I mean? cluttery!  Notice the rug on the hard cement cold floor?  Not so friendly when you want to play a game of twister in the winter.
More clutter
Aren't these the same nasty buzzing  flourescent lights that you see in Prison?  There were worse examples of this with big holes in the ceiling where they "missed" the wiring location that I didn't get pictures of.  Maybe I was too embarrassed for you to see.



My craft area...  I painted the red wall last year in attempt to make it more "me" but still, that dang cement floor always won in the end.
To begin, we cleared everything out and covered what was too big or heavy with drop cloths.  Then we taped off the window and the red wall.  That was a huge job!

I love this picture.  Dave looks like an alien from outer space.  We decided to rent a paint sprayer machine to get the painting done faster.  In the end, we think it was too messy and not worth the money.  We had to evacuate the house for an afternoon to let the fumes air out too.



AFTER
My Craft Area Now... I sewed some curtains to cover the shelving in the corner that houses all my fabric and supplies.  Looks a lot less cluttered when it's covered with a pretty curtain.



And what's a curtain without decorative trim at the bottom?  Also, check out the pretty laminate wood flooring we got for free from my sister.  So much better than cold, hard cement.  Thanks Lisa!



I already had a red, black and white theme going on, so I just added to it with some more decor items.  See my little owl on the shelf I wrote about in my last post?  By the way, voting on KSL starts Monday the 7th.  Hint hint! :)
Work out area... The picture on the wall on the left says "Hell and Back -- 26.2 miles."  My marathon training motivation? Go figure!  Also, check out the pretty camel wall color.  Looks natural and nice.


Huge Face Lift!

Here is the play area on the opposite side of the room.  We splurged and got nice carpet.  Sure makes walking around with bare feet so much more enjoyable.
Nora LOVES to color and draw, so we got a magnetic white board for her little art station area.
Every toy has its own place now.  My friends tease me that I go too overboard on organization.  Oh well :)
I got this curtain at BBBeyond for $4.00.  So I came home, cut a hole in it, added some creative love and turned it into a puppet show curtain.  Nora loves doing puppet shows for Stratton, he just giggles and squeels the whole time.

Puppet curtain has a hook when it's not in use.  Also notice the laundry room door.  I painted that white when we had the paint out... now I need to paint the rest of the downstairs hallway!  Didn't think about that one.




New pretty white baseboards and a close-up of the soft new carpet.
New Light Fixtures.  Yeeees!  Now I don't feel like I'm surrounded by a swarm of buzzing bees in prison anymore.
The best overall view I could get.  Bye Bye Bachelor Pad!




5 comments:

Lisa Brandow said...

Heather,

It turned out so nice. Way to go!

Lisa

The Pierce Family said...

Wow, Heather! I love it. You were so clever with that puppet show curtain. It's all so cute. Nora and Strat are so spoiled! (And you too with that nice craft area). What an improvement.

Erin said...

love it all! can you come stay at my house for a couple of weeks? i thought it was pretty good before. i'm so overwhelmed with some of my clutter it's so hard to know where to start. we're working on one room at a time (and by the time we get to the last room, we'll have all the clutter from previous said rooms in that room!) lol

looks fabulous. love it.

McArthur Family said...

That looks awesome! I bet you just love being down there. I love the craft/sewing area. Made me happy. =)

Adam and Brittany said...

I LOVE IT. The carpet makes such a big difference. It seems so much more cozy. First, your curtains are amazing. Second, I have "bin-envy" with how organized everything is, and third, I really think we need to have a lunch date soon. Give Dave a high five from me for all the work I know he did.