Yesterday was a big day...we got Stratton's helmet finally fitted and home for his head reshaping journey (up to 6 months for 23 hours a day). It's been a long 3 weeks but we are finally nipping this Plagiocephaly in the bud. I just feel bad that I am leaving today for my trip and will be gone 2 weeks... poor Dave has to deal with all this helmet adjusting without me.
Here are some before shots... notice his flattened back and misshapen skull. I am looking forward to seeing the differences in 6 months.
 |
You can see his right side has the asymetrical 8mm bulge. This is what the Doctor was worried about. This causes the brain to not be able to push out on the skull evenly as Strat grows.
|
 |
Flattened back side shot. Very top heavy.
|
 |
Another side shot...Playing with Daddy at the Doctor's office.
|
 |
Round 2 was getting more laser measurements with this sock thing over his head. They wanted what hair he has out of the way so they could get an accurate 3-D mold ready to go.
|
 |
| He looks so happy to be there huh? |
 |
This was the computer program that took the measurements of his head then transfered it into a 3-D shot so they could custom make the helmet. I was impressed, it actually kind of looks like Strat.... in a creepy porcelain doll kind of way.
|
|
|
|
 |
Round 3 (one week later)... His first fitting. As expected, he was not a huge fan at first. Yes, that is a galaxy space design you see... Isn't it cool?
|
 |
Taking more measurements and making cuts so it will fit just right.
|
 |
See, it's not so bad buddy.
|
 |
Getting the hang of things at home. Nora is wearing her "helmet" too as a sympathy gesture I assume.
|
 |
straps on with heavy duty velcro.
|
 |
I ordered these vinyl letters to go with the whole space theme. If you didn't know, Stratton's 2 nicknames are Strattacus and Stratosphere (you know, since he will be one tall boy!) I figure, if the poor thing has to wear this bulky, hot, awkward helmet, he might as well look stylish, right?
 |
The back view. The holes are for air ventilation, though his head still sweats like crazy in the thing.
|
|
 |
He's still cute to me.
|
7 comments:
Heather,
I think he is adorable with or without the helmet.
Lisa
Wow Wow Wow. He looks adorable either way. I hope it's MUCH less than six months so he doesn't have to endure a UT summer in it... He's simply adorable. I didn't realize you'd be gone two weeks. Good luck, Dave and have a great time!!!
Oh my I think he looks adorable! I want to kiss those cheeks!
OH! He looks great. Stratosphere. I love it!
Good thing it's still pretty cold, eh? And good thing he doesn't have too much hair to get in the way.
Oh that sweet boy! He looks fantastic.
I, for one, love it!
He's totally going to brag about this the rest of his life!
See, I told you that you would find a way to make it look cool! Good call with the vinyl. Much better than modge podge. At first I thought you were going for the whole Aggie blue theme. Work, doctor, packing, and you still found time to blog! We are going to miss you!
He is SO cute in the helmet! I LOVE IT!! :) What a cute kid... and I love that Norah made the gesture to wear her bike helmet. Sweet sister. :)
Not just cute, Heather. He's freaking cute.
Post a Comment