Thought I would share the news now that it's pretty much official....
With A LOT of fasting and praying, Dave and I have made the decision that I am going to stay home and be a full time Mommy starting next school year. Telling my administrators and co-workers that I am hanging up my apron in the Foods classroom and putting on the apron at home was one of the hardest things I thought I would do. I always thought it would be my 8th graders that would put me over the edge, and though sometimes they try my patience, they are not the reason why I am done teaching. Honestly, I really love my job. The main reason for this decision is my little family. I need to be home with my babies, I need to know they are learning, growing and developing properly in my care. Leaving them each morning I go to work is so tough and I realize my focus needs to be on them. It shouldn't be on bringing home more income or grading papers during nap time or doing grocery shopping for school during prime family time. Life is too short and they are growing up too fast for me to miss any more.
Will we be tight financially? Oh, you better believe it will be tight. Can you say Beans and Rice? But we feel this is just too important and that's what NEEDS to happen. So, after 9 years in the classroom, I am saying good bye to parent teacher conferences, late work, extra credit, teacher cooking demo's, Halloween dress up day, chaperoning school dances, tardy students, fire drills, cooking labs, year book day, professional teacher conferences, state testings, the faculty vs. student basketball games, substitute plans, doing school grocery shopping every week, and of course the students.
I really will miss you!
Sincerely,
Mrs. Whitworth
FACS Department
American Fork Junior High
March 10, 2011
Hanging up my Apron...
Posted by Heather Whitworth at 2:13 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
yeah, I don't miss year book day. . .
It will be interesting to see how you adjust. I have found I don't miss it as much as I thought I would.
Your students were lucky to have you!
You put your heart into your teaching which is why you are so good at it. Though it took me a year to be more ok with not teaching, now I don't even think twice about it. It will be an adjustment. You'll have dreams about it and wake up thinking your late for work or that you forgot to plan for the day, etc. and then you'll realize that you only have to make breakfast for 2 little ones instead of 120.
You are a mother with great courage to take this step and I know the Lord is so thankful you want to give your kids the best--YOU!
I love you and wish you the best in this transition.
Amber
Reading this makes me want to cry! I'm so excited for you, though! You are so great, and I'm so glad you taught so I could meet such an amazing person! Thanks for being such a great mentor and friend. I couldn't have made it through those first couple years without you! Someday I'll get married and have babies and we can have play dates together while both of us aren't teaching. :) I can't wait! You are amazing! I love you!
I remember being up in my room at LDS Hospital the day after the birth of my first little one and watching the schoolchildren head off to their first day of school, as I realized that it was the first time in 18 years that I wasn't in that crowd.
Time for a new phase in my life, which turned out to be a "classroom" where I not only taught but was taught. I've learned SO much from my children.
It was a challenge sometimes to keep mentally involved in something besides children's books, and it definitely was a challenge to manage on a shoestring budget.
But choosing my family over my career is a choice I will never regret making--despite the unexpected challenges of getting back into teaching after the kids were all grown up.
If I had it to do all over again, I'd do it mostly the same way.
Maybe I'd spend more time playing with them, though.
You should start to coupon! You could save loads! I just started, and it's some work, but TOTALLY worth it. Email me!
Post a Comment