THE WHITWORTH FAMILY

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.

June 1, 2012

What aLittle....I mean A LOT of paint will do!

Dave got a 4 day weekend over Memorial Day weekend, so we (more like I) decided we should tackle a big project around the house (Dave was just along for the ride).  Anyway, one of the saddest parts of our house were our awful kitchen cabinets.  The previous owner had painted them flat black... it was bad.  Showed every mark, spill, dust hang out, you name it.  Plus it felt like I was cooking in a cave most of the time.  Last year I tried to "help" the kitchen by painting the walls a pretty dusty blue color, alas all it did was darken the space even more and make it feel like I was cooking in a cave AT NIGHT all the time.  Sooo, the cupboards got a major facelift.  Here are the Before and Afters.  Brace yourself, it's pretty drastic!

BEFORE:

See I told you.... Cave-like

Up close they were really gross.
 DURING:
One of the hardest things to do was clean out EVERYTHING out from the cupboards.  Where to put it was the big dilema.  We had tables set out in our dining room with kitchen stuff piled all over for a few days.  I was going crazy!
That black backboard was the death of me to keep clean.
The kids had a blast playing hide and go seek in the empty cupboards though.
Here is where the real work was... Out in the garage doing 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of white paint.  My new favorite product... Floetrol, helped keep the paint lines from showing and made paint go on smoothly.

AFTER:
And there she is... after many sleep deprived nights, tired shoulders and lots of paint.  The difference it made was worth it in the end.  Notice the blue walls are gone.  We carried over the light yellow paint throughout the whole area.

So this is what I see now when I walk into the kitchen.  Makes me not cringe as much anymore.
Dave covered all the cupboard sides and walls with beadboard for a much more updated look.  Plus he put in an outlet under the counter.  Yeeees!

 CAVE?  What cave?   I don't see a cave!
So pretty!
One of our first meals in our newly painted kitchen was homemade pizza.  Even Nora likes the change it made.

5 comments:

Erin said...

wow!!! so lovely.

Elissa said...

You transformed the cave into a little spot of sunshine. Beautiful!

The Pierce Family said...

What a transformation! Seriously, Heather, that was a major facelift, and it looks fantastic. I liked the blue, but I like the yellow better. Gorgeous! (Now just for some granite countertops, right?)

P.S. If this shows up as Cherae, and not Tiff, it's because she has been using my computer. :) It's really me writing though!

McArthur Family said...

ok, that was AMAZING!!! It looks so much bigger and fresh and inviting! I love it...nice work!

Lauren said...

Gorgeous Heather! It looks amazing!