THE WHITWORTH FAMILY

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.

January 3, 2009

Entering the World of Glasses...

Dave and I just found out on Friday that our sweet little Nora (who just turned one) is going to have to wear glasses from now on. We both were noticing as she ate and looked at books that at times she would get real close to look at things (you know like my mom does when she doesn't wear her reading glasses). Of course we were concerned and went to get it checked out.

After going to a Pediatric Opthamologist, he discovered she has severe farsightedness. We also were informed that if we didn't get glasses on this child NOW, she would be blind by age three! The Doctor explained that in children when they have conditions such as Nora's, their brains will just give up on seeing and start relying on other senses to compensate.... resulting in blindness. Of course I started bawling in the Doctor's office as I was trying to handle all the emotions going through my head. But after a little reality check and consoling, we got her fit for some infant sized very thick-lensed glasses. Our choices in frame colors were charcoal or pink.... You better believe we chose the PINK! I guess we won't have to worry about people mistaking her for a boy anymore right? I am really trying to look at the bright side of all this.... that we caught it early enough, that it's not cancer or anything more serious, and that Nora will be able to see the world now.... I just hope and pray she will be able to keep her self confidence and self-esteem as she grows up. Kids can be so cruel to other kids with "four eyes."

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, sweet little Nora! She will look so cute in her pink glasses :) I'm so glad you guys are attentive parents and got her in before it got worse! Post pictures as soon as she gets them!

McArthur Family said...

I know you might not be thrilled about the glasses, but I can't wait to see some darling pictures of her with them! It sure was great seeing you Heather! You're such a dear friend to me. Much love- amber

Erin said...

We love you! It was so great to see you last week. DD still keeps singing all the time--"Baby No-a! Baby No-a!" ALL the time. If she ever gets to the point where you think she might not have self-confidence, it might help her to go away for a summer to her Aunt's house. :-) It's amazing what a summer away will do for a teenage girl. She seems so unfazed, though, by challenges I can only predict that she will come out of this shining.

Rebecca said...

Wow. You are amazing to have even noticed that at such a young age! Kudos to you as her parents and I'm sure she will look absolutely FABULOUS in her new glasses--especially because they are PINK! Pink ROCKS!

Mel said...

I think kids in pink glasses on kids are cute!

Unknown said...

I'm so impressed with you! Way to catch it, I'm not sure I would have!

I'm excited to see cute pictures of cute Nora in glasses! SO CUTE!