THE WHITWORTH FAMILY

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.

August 13, 2010

It's all about who you know....

Since Dave and I just celebrated our 5 year anniversary, I thought I would post about this picture that was just taken last month when everyone was "in town."   Because of how far apart we all live from each other, this is a picture that we probably won't ever get to take together again (or at least not for a very long time that is).  The people in it are all connected together, individually and as a whole which is why I will always cherish this photo. So I will explain...  The two gorgeous women to my right, Erin (Dave's sister) and Rubia (my old roommate), are the ones responsible for getting Dave and me together.  Here are the connections...
  • Erin and Dave are siblings, both went to BYU together.
  • Erin and Rubia became friends at BYU, because Erin came to know "everyone" who spoke Portuguese at BYU after her mission (Rubia is from Brazil).
  • Dave meets Rubia while living in the Portuguese house in the Foreign Language Student Residence and they become friends.
  • Less than a year later, Rubia moves into my apartment (in Utah) because she is friends with my other roommate.
  • Rubia sets Dave and me up after I admitted to her that I liked tall guys (technical term is "height snob")
  • Dave ends up not calling me after our fun blind date.... 
  • It's been a month, I'm confused!
  • Rubia calls Erin (who lives in D.C.) to ask why he hasn't called me?
  • Big sister Erin calls Dave (living in California at the time) and tells him to "just call her up already."
  • So he did, but it later came out of the woodwork that Dave wasn't going to call me at all because I looked too much like his sister Erin (crazy coincidences!)  Good thing we had a 4 month long distance relationship after that.
  • Obviously, he got over mine and Erin's physical similarities, moved to Utah and we got married.
 And the last connection....the 5th person in the picture...  Our second baby, Stratton!  Thanks, Erin and Rubia, you did good!
    Isn't it cool how life evolves?

    2 comments:

    Amy Jenks said...

    Great story - and YES you do look A TON like Dave's sister. :)

    Erin said...

    Love it! And let's not forget that I almost botched the whole thing by saying, "sure, give him a call!" Jim overheard the conversation and piped up, "leave him alone!!! If you call him he won't call you back. Just give him some space." So Heather waited a bit longer and David finally did call and they got together again. I'm SOOOOO lucky to have Heather as a SIL.