THE WHITWORTH FAMILY

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.

August 22, 2011

Hobblecreek Half Marathon 2011

Last Saturday I "raced" in the Hobblecreek Half Marathon.   This is a hard race to get in since it sells out in about 2 hours and they only let approximately 1500 people run it.  You might ask... well, what's the difference between "racing" and just "running" it?  Well, the difference is that I trained a little more intensely.  All summer I increased my weekly mileage and put in more speed workouts and faster paced training runs with the hope to run the race faster and better!  Thus, I was actually somewhat competitive this time and ran some of the race with the "fast girls."  My goal was to get a personal best time and to finish in the top 100 women.

Coming up the last 1/4 mile.  I haven't pushed myself like this in a VERY long time. I am so ready to be done at this point (I'm in the green top in the distance).  Dave brought the kids to cheer me on.  I really needed that!

Feet burning, legs burning, shoulders burning.... Am I done yet?  Don't look at Dave because I might just stop right here to hug my kids and lose valuable time.

Just crossed the finished line.  I'm so exhausted I can't even hold my head up!   Still can't look at Dave because well, I might fall over.

My cool "finisher" shirt with my cute little cheering squad.  I'm feeling much better at this point.

My brother Jay (not in pic), my sister Lisa and good friend Susie ran the race as well.  I was so proud of all of them.  Lisa got a personal best of 1:51 after getting zero sleep the night before and Susie ran a 1:58 which is absolutely incredible since she just had a BABY two and a half months ago!  Such awesome ladies I'm surrounded by.

All the pain was worth it in the end... I got my goal time of 1:41 (my all-time personal best is 1:40 back when I was young and single, so I just missed getting a new personal best time. Dang!) But I finished 80th overall among the women. The top 100 men/women finishers got this cool "elite 100" medal/necklace.  I don't think I'll ever wear it again, but at least it's cool to have and remind me about the price we pay for competition.  Right?



5 comments:

Adam and Brittany said...

Like I said before...You are My HERO! I want to be fast like you someday...someday. Will you train me :)

The Pierce Family said...

Wow, Heather. Good job!! Your time was crazy fast! A can't even run 1 mile in under 8 minutes, let alone 13 in a row!!!

Shannon said...

Dang! Like Brittany and like I've said a bagillion times before...you're my hero! I'll be lucky to get an 11 minute mile average when I do my half. You are awesome!!!!

Beth said...

You are one crazy mama!

Clynn'sKathy said...

Awesome, Heather--and David, who watches children while you run. :-)