THE WHITWORTH FAMILY

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.

August 13, 2011

Nora's 1st Swim Lessons

We decided to enroll Nora in swim lessons this summer with all her cousins.  They had so much fun together.

Nora and her cousin Maisy.  They are about 5 months apart and absolutely love playing together.  Nora really wanted to be put in Maisy's same swim class which I did, but unfortunately I think it was a bit too advanced for her water insecurities.  But with Maisy there as sort of some positive peer pressure, Nora took to the water much better than I had hoped.

Working on kicking

The "airplane" position.

The "soldier" position (she should be doing this horizontally in the water).  Oh well.

As I had pretty much expected, Nora did NOT pass all the skills for level 2 and couldn't advance.  As you can see, her swimmates are totally submerged in the water for 5+ seconds.  Nora refused to do this.  I actually don't blame her as she is so worried and protective of her glasses.  She had so much fun though and asks on a daily basis if she can do swim lessons again.  So, pass or no pass, we are happy she did it!

2 comments:

Clynn'sKathy said...

I was 11 years old before I would put my face in the water--and I didn't have glasses to protect!

SO proud of Nora!

Any chance that there are goggles big enough to fit over her glasses?

The Pierce Family said...

Those pics were so cute. Nora is adorable.

I swear it helps having access to water everyday. Maisy is swimming 100% now--she doesn't wear wings or anything, and can swim the entire length of our pool unassisted.

SOOOO, just come live with us next summer, and Nora will be swimming too in no time. (Honestly, she did awesome!)