THE WHITWORTH FAMILY

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.

September 11, 2011

Why TRI?

My friend Susie has gotten me hooked on Triathlons.  They are such a challenge and test of endurance both mentally and physically.  Yes, I still love my running races... but the swim, bike, run is a whole new level of athleticism.  I love it, it makes me feel tough!  Susie and I did back-to-back weekend races this month.  On September 3rd, we did the Aqua Triathlon at Seven Peaks.  Our cute husbands had all the intention of coming and watching us, but we were already done with the race and hanging out at the finish line when they rolled in.... Oh well, it made for some cute pictures still.  The funny thing is that we left right after the race and I didn't even know I placed until the next day.  I got 3rd in my age division and could have gotten a medal.  Hopefully they will still mail it to me.


Me, Susie and Jessie (Susie's friend) after we finished the race.

Trying to "look" tough.

My awesome fan club!

Nora was pretty bummed that she didn't get to see Mommy in her race.



Then yesterday on September 10th, I really tested myself and attempted an open water swim at the Yuba Lake Triathlon.  This race was so much more challenging because of the longer swim portion in choppy, cold lake water.  I had only done one other open water training swim at Utah Lake, all the rest were in a swimming pool.  Open water swimming is completely different and so much harder for sure.  But I slowly made it through the swim as one of the last sprint distance women out of the water (how pathetic!)  Luckily my bike and running events are stronger and I was able to make up a lot of time.  The rest of the race I was fighting to "catch" people.  My competitive side definitely came out any time I saw a woman (a possible kill) in the distance and I didn't stop until I passed her.  I ended up 16th woman over all and 4th in my age division.  It was very fun.  I'm already looking forward to the next race.


This is before the race setting up all my gear.  You have to get everything laid out just right so when you are transitioning to the next event you can go quick as possible.

This is me, Susie and her Dad who did the race as well.

Getting into my wetsuit.  I was so nervous for that dang swim.  My friend Pam who took the picture made me flex to help me feel tough and calm my nerves.  It didn't really help.  The cool thing is that the #4 is my lucky number.  Check out my bib number.  That was a total coincidence.

Heading down to the water.  The water turn around markers looked SOOO far away. 

     
Right before the gun went off.  Susie is really trying to calm my nerves at this point, see her holding my arm so I won't fall down.

And we're off.... Look in the far distance (not the 2 orange bouy's on the left but the one way farther out past them).  That was where we had to swim to and then to another bouy and then to another one after that.  It felt so LONG.
Out of the water and feeling dead tired.  I couldn't even lift my arms up to unzip my wetsuit at his point.
Now in transition #1 and getting ready for my bike portion.  I really was having fun despite the grimaced look on my face. Unfortunately the camera died at this point so we didn't get any other pictures of the race.  So unfortunate :(

4 comments:

The Pierce Family said...

Heather,
You are amazing!! Way to go girl!

Lisa Brandow said...

Heather,

You are awesome.Someday I want to be like you. Maybe one day I will do a tri but first have to get through this next marathon.

Lisa

Shannon said...

Just when I'm starting to think I can be just like you, you go and do something crazy like this. :) You're amazing!!! Way to go!!!!

Ms. Earl said...

I loved catching up on your blog!!! Sorry I never got back to you. A lot has gone on and it was way too much to text. For one, Kate went on her first date/to her first dance!!!! I miss having you here to tell about things. If you have an email, I will send you a link to some of her pics.

Looks like you are loving life!!!