THE WHITWORTH FAMILY

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.

April 16, 2012

Turning $3 into $50

I was pretty excited when I was able to turn $3 into $50 with a little elbow muscle last week.  Me and my Mom found this cute little wood end table/nightstand at a yardsale marked $5 bucks.  My mom talked the lady down to $3.  Sweet!

BEFORE


I brought it home, sanded it a bit, primed it and painted it white with paint I already had.  Then I distressed it with some sandpaper to make it look like the Antique Shabby Chic stuff you see all over.  I lined the drawers with a cute paper liner and added a basket to the cubby (also one I had from a yardsale).  I hesitantly posted it on KSL for $50 bucks thinking I would probably have to come down on it.  But within 12 hours, a girl called on it, and bought it.  So awesome, I think I might keep doing this!  Here is the finished piece.

AFTER

 









4 comments:

The Pierce Family said...

I'm dying over this, since although it looks super cute, the end product looks more "distressed" than when you bought it. Like you dressed it down to dress it up if that makes any sense! That's the shabby chic style though that's hot right now, and it looks great. I wish I could have seen your dresser.

Lisa Brandow said...

Heather,

You da bomb! Way to go!

Lisa

Erin said...

great job! very smart.

MVP said...

Heather, it's beautiful! If only I had a garage or room to do stuff like this, I totally would! Oh wait, if I moved back there, I could do it with you :)